Restaurant food waste is a significant global problem, with large quantities of food ending up in the trash, affecting both the economy and the environment.
This fact highlights the importance of implementing effective strategies to reduce food waste in the restaurant industry. Read on to discover some options.
Common strategies to reduce food waste
These actions not only reduce waste, but also contribute to improving the sustainability and efficiency of the restaurant.
- Previsión precisa de la demanda: Analizar patrones de consumo para ajustar la compra y producción de alimentos.
- Accurate demand forecasting: Analysing consumption patterns to adjust food procurement and production.
- Proper storage: Use correct techniques to preserve freshness and extend the shelf life of food. Optimise food storage by applying the ABC strategy: category A for high-demand, space-constrained products, category B for intermediate items and category C for less demanded, bulky foodstuffs. This technique can save up to 60% time in storage management.
- Creative use of ingredients: Prepare dishes that make the best use of available ingredients, reducing waste.
- Staff training: Train the team in waste reduction and efficiency practices in the kitchen.
Technological solutions in the fight against food waste in the hospitality industry
DID YOU KNOW… 10% of food waste comes from dishes that customers don’t finish? **CEHE Study: https://www.cehe.es/documents/guias/abra-los-ojos-ante-los-desperdicios.pdf
In the hospitality sector, the hotel buffet is a place where food waste is particularly significant, with dinner service being the most wasteful time. Technological solutions such as the Winnow system, based on artificial intelligence, are being implemented in some hotel chains to analyse and reduce this waste, achieving significant reductions.
In addition, mobile applications such as Too Good To Go are emerging as valuable tools for managing and reducing food waste in restaurants and hotels. These apps allow establishments to sell surplus food at reduced prices, benefiting both businesses and consumers and contributing to sustainability.
Zumex juicers and blenders: sustainable innovation to reduce food waste
The use of Zumex juicers and blenders in the hospitality sector is an innovative and effective solution to reduce food waste.
Mediante la transformación de frutas y verduras “imperfectas” en zumos, no solo se contribuye a la disminución del desperdicio, sino que también se ofrece a los clientes opcionBy transforming “imperfect” fruits and vegetables into juices, not only does it contribute to reducing waste, but it also offers customers healthier and more appealing options. This practice promotes whole foods, while highlighting the importance of sustainability in the food industry. In addition, incorporating these fresh and nutritious beverages into the menu will increase customer satisfaction and, consequently, improve the image and profitability of the establishment.
The implementation of Zumex juicers and blenders in restaurants, cafés and hotels is not only an environmentally responsible choice, but also a business strategy that responds to the growing demand of health and environmentally conscious consumers.
Ultimately, in a world where environmental awareness and health are increasingly important, adopting these practices and technologies is not only a responsible choice, but also a smart business strategy that meets the demands of conscious consumers.
Together, we can work to reduce food waste in the foodservice industry and make the world a more sustainable and healthy place for everyone.